Kashmir is a tourists’ paradise on Earth. Nestling in the lap of the dazzling snow-capped mountains, the Kashmir is blessed with four distinctive seasons- spring, summer, autumn and winter which vie with each other in attracting the tourists round the year. Kashmir has remained a dream tourist destination of the world and is the best in India. People visit it for its scenic beauty and splendid landscape enriched well laid gardens and chinar trees, for its rich heritage, art and craft. Kashmir is also a honeymooner’s paradise, a nature lover’s wonderland and a shopper’s dream land.
Attractions: Dal Lake, Shalimar Bag, Nishat Bagh, Chashme-Shahi Bagh and Shankaracharya Temple are the main tourist attractions of Srinagar, the summer Capital of Kashmir. Gulmarg, Pahalgam and Sonamarg are other major tourist places in Kashmir.
Location: Kashmir is located in northern part of India and is multifaceted diamond set like a crown jewel on the map of India.
HOW TO REACH: Srinagar, the summer capital of the Jammu and Kashmir is well connected by Air, Road and Rail. By Rail it connected with the rest of the country by Jammu Tawi Railway Station from where Buses and Taxis are available for Srinagar.
Distance: Srinagar is located approx. 300 K.Ms from Jammu, the summer capital of the state of Jammu and Kashmir, 650 K.Ms from Chandigarh and 900 K.Ms from New Delhi.
Accommodation: J&K Tourism Development Corporation has variety of accommodation at Srinagar, Gulmarg, Pahalgam and Sonagar. Private hoteliers also provide accommodation ranging from modest guest houses, houseboats and 5 star hotels.
- Altitude above sea level: 1530 Meters
- Climate: While the summer (June-August) temperatures of Srinagar are between 20 degree & 30 degree C, Spring (March-May) and Autumn (October-November) are cold with minimum temperature plunging down to 7 degree C and during Winter (December-February), temperature sometimes reach minus 10 degree C. Temperatures in the hill resorts are comparatively lower.
- Best season to visit: The best season for visiting Kashmir is May-July and again September-October. Winter tourism starts by mid December with the first snow fall and lasts till March during which tourists can enjoy snow sports at Gulmarg.
- Clothing: In summer light woolens are required for Gulmarg, Pahalgam & Sonamarg, but not for Srinagar. During spring season woolens are required. However, in winter heavy woolens are required.
- Language:Kashmiri, Dogri and Hindi.
- Items to Carry: Since Tourists visit the places like Gulmarg, Phalgam and Sonamarg, they must carry the clothes as per season, required medicines, water bottle, cold cream, sport snow/water proof shoes and black uttra violet goggles.
- Any other information: Tourists may be mentally and physically ready for trekking/walking and facing unpleasant weather, as sunny weather may turn into rain/snow in a short while and temperature may fall down considerable, especially at Sonarg, Gulmarg and Pahalgam.